Automobile Accidents

At Grant & Dozier, LLC we investigate all possible contributing causes of an accident to ensure that you will receive full compensation for your injuries. Our office will investigate your case so that you do not have to so that you can concentrate on recovering from your injuries. We can assist you in finding an appropriate medical specialist to treat you, and we can make arrangements with your medical care providers to wait for payment until your case is resolved.
Automobile accidents are decided using the law of negligence. A person who negligently operates a vehicle may be required to pay damages caused by their negligence. Usually, people who operate automobiles must exercise "reasonable care under the circumstances." Failure to use reasonable care is the basis in most lawsuits for damages caused by an automobile accident.
In some cases, accidents are caused by factors unrelated to the driver. For example, an automobile manufacturer or supplier may be responsible for injuries caused by a defect in the automobile. If a manufacturer of a product creates a defective product, the manufacturer is liable for any injures the product causes, whether the manufacturer was negligent or not. In another example, if a mechanic improperly repairs a vehicle, and the failure to properly repair the vehicle causes an accident, the person who improperly repaired the vehicle, and the repair shop, may be liable for injuries sustained. A further example is if an accident is caused by an intoxicated driver, a bar or social host may be liable for damages sustained if they served an guest that was clearly intoxicated, who then drives and causes an accident.
If you're a passenger in a vehicle involved in an accident, and you have sustained injury as a result, you are entitled to receive compensation for your injuries. As a passenger, you may have a claim against both the driver of the vehicle in which you were riding as well as the drivers of any other vehicles (or any other negligent party) involved in the collision. A passenger is not considered to be at fault or partially at fault in an auto accident unless he or she does something that specifically causes the accident. 

What Should I Do After An Auto Accident

Seek immediate medical attention if you are seriously injured in an automobile accident. After everyone is out of danger and any medical and police help has been called, obtain the following:
  • The full names of the drivers of all of the vehicles involved, their addresses and driver’s license numbers.
  • The full name, address, and phone number of any witnesses to the accident.
  • The full names and addresses of any passengers in any of the vehicles and any pedestrians or other parties involved.
  • The full names and addresses of the registered owners of the vehicles.
  • If any of the driver's seem to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs, advise the police immediately.
  • The names and policy numbers of the insurance companies of the insured vehicles.
  • The names and badge numbers of the officers present.
  • You should take pictures of the accident scene, whether law enforcement took photographs or not. Always take pictures of the vehicles involved and different angles of the accident scene. If you are unable to take photographs at the scene, contact our office immediately.  At Grant & Dozier, LLC we will send our investigator to take photos and measurements and will work with experts who can rush to the scene of any serious accident and preserve valuable evidence.
You should also make observations and make notes regarding the following:
  • Was medical assistance received by anyone at the scene of the accident? 
  • Did anyone say that they were not injured? 
  • What parts of the vehicle were damaged?
  • What were the weather conditions at the time of the accident? 
  • Was there any faulty equipment of the vehicles involved such as broken or non functioning lights? 
  • Were any vehicles towed from the scene? 
  • Did anyone make any comments indicating they were at fault?  
  • Was any of the drivers involved driving a company owned vehicle or while  working? 
  • After leaving the scene of an accident you should immediately contact an attorney who is experienced in handling personal injury matters. At Grant & Dozier, LLC, we will arrange for an attorney to consult with you directly and free of charge so we may immediately take action on your behalf.
Should I contact my own insurance company?
Most auto insurance companies require their policyholders to promptly report every auto accident. Your insurance company will want to gather all of the basic information concerning the accident for its records whether you are at fault or not. Sometimes the insurance company will want to make a recorded statement concerning the accident. Grant & Dozier, LLC suggests that if you were injured in the accident, or if the insurance company might try to claim you are not covered, you should contact an attorney before you go any further, and absolutely before you give the insurance company permission to record your conversation. NEVER GIVE A RECORDED STATEMENT WITHOUT A LAWYER PRESENT. However, you must understand that failure to provide information to your insurance company on a timely basis could result in loss of coverage for the accident, without it constituting bad faith by the insurer. Be advised that you should never give a statement to the other driver's insurance company without consulting with an attorney.  Be courteous, but do not speak with the other driver’s insurance company without consulting with an attorney first.
Should I go to the doctor?
Absolutely, especially if you feel pain or discomfort. Sometimes the onset of physical complaints begin several hours after an accident. Even if you feel fine after an accident, that may not be the case the next day.
When you are reporting your injury to police, paramedics, hospital staff, and doctors, be sure to identify each and every complaint.  
Follow the doctor's advice and be sure to attend every doctor's appointment. If you don’t, it will be used against you in court.